The National Executive Board of BSA approved a new membership fee on 23 October, 2019 to include the following:
- $60 for youth members in Cub Scouts, Scouts BSA, Venturing and Sea Scouts
- $36 for youth members in Exploring, and
- $36 for adult members
While we had anticipated this decision would be made quickly, we frankly did not expect this information to be immediately made public by various sources. As a result, our Council was only privy to the exact nature of the new membership fees at the same time as many of you. Rather than provide a reactionary and incomplete statement yesterday, our staff has been clarifying the terms of the change since the release. The Council’s Volunteer Executive Committee met today to discuss how this would impact the Occoneechee Council.
First and foremost, we will comply with the BSA’s new structure, which you can read more about in a Q&A found here.
At this point in time, we can share the following:
- We understand that the Council subscription service has been the source of much discussion by the Occoneechee family. Today, our Executive Committee approved a local annual program fee of $48 in 2020 in lieu of the subscription service.
- This fee is less than previously discussed Council subscription levels. This will be effective starting August of 2020. Billing for each unit was sent to the unit Key-3 leaders in June 2020.
- Units needing assistance with the Council Program fee should reference the waiver form found here. Also available is the Council Program fee FAQ
- Effective with this re-charter, we will implement a $12 insurance fee, which covers our historic costs for insurance.
- For example, a Cub Scout youth registration would include a $60 national membership fee, a $12 insurance fee at re-charter this Winter, and a $48 Council program fee in August, for a total of $120 annually.
Scouting is one of the most valuable investments we can make to support young men and women today so they can become the leaders we will turn to tomorrow. The new membership and program fees amount to an investment of $10 per month for a Scout, so there is no doubt that it remains a tremendous value. Under this new model, the Occoneechee Council will continue to shoulder the burden of many remaining costs; the Council will continue to look at ways to manage these deficits while still providing the utmost value to our Scouts and Scouting families.
The cost to operate Scouting at all levels continues to increase. Each Scout we serve will cost our council approximately $320 this year. To ensure the long-term viability of Scouting in our region, we will need the continued support of those who truly care about Scouting. We encourage those able to donate to do so within their means, and to take part in fundraising activities, popcorn sales or by becoming Sustaining Donors.
We will continue to communicate in a clear, open and transparent manner. We will be sending additional information and updates soon.
Thank you for being part of Scouting.